Preparing Your Earlysville Home for Sale in the Spring of 2020
Here are some great tips for preparing your Earlysville home for sale this coming Spring. If you are planning on selling your home, now is the time to get together your to-do list!
It’s hard to be thinking about Spring with all of the holidays upon us. However, if you start planning ahead now, you will be glad you did! This is because you will have made the time stretch out for accomplishing the following tasks. Many of the tips below can be done now while the weather is still mild. Winter is short-lived in our area. Before we know it, there will be crocuses and daffodils dotting lawns and the woods edge! If you have been considering moving, now is the perfect time to call your Realtor to begin the process of preparing your home for sale.
Tips for Preparing Your Earlysville Home for Sale
Home Inspection and More:
- PRE-LISTING INSPECTION – Hire a Home Inspector NOW… You might think you know everything there is to know about the condition of your Earlysville home. However, odds are that your buyer’s home inspector will find something that needs to be fixed. This is because there could be rotting trim, a loose railing, or a shower pan that is cracked and leaking into the crawl space. Also, there may be a bat in the attic! A pre-listing home inspection will alert you to significant problems that would otherwise present themselves during the negotiation process. If you do this now, there will be more time to have these issues fixed by springtime.
- Be sure to tell your Home Inspector to check the house top to bottom, from crawl space to attic, for any sign of moisture. If there is any presence of mold, take care of it now, immediately. If there is moisture, develop a plan to deal with it before you put the house on the market.
- CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS – Many water issues begin with clogged gutters; get them cleaned and keep them that way.
- SERVICE THE HVAC SYSTEM – Now’s the time to find out if there are loose wires, dirty filters, or any other system deficiencies. Even if you have an older system, the buyer will be pleased to know the system has been maintained well. AND, this will be a less likely factor to make an issue of it. (Make sure new filters are placed in the time they should be.)
- CHECK All WINDOWS AND DOORS for proper weather stripping, screens, and locks in working order. Make sure all windows and doors open and close as they should. Also, that none of the windows are foggy (failing insulated window seals). While you are dealing with the windows, go ahead and check that you have screens for all windows. Clean your windows (it makes the house sparkle!), In addition, clean blinds and draperies.
Finally and Equally Important:
- HIRE A CHIMNEY SWEEP – You may feel that you just had your chimney(s) cleaned. If it was within the past 6 months, do it again. The damper and all aspects of the chimney, inside and out, need to be checked.
- DE-CLUTTER! This is very important as less is good! Invest in a Pod if necessary, or rent a storage unit. Begin by divorcing yourself from possessions… donate, repurpose, recycle. If you start this task right after the holidays, you will have less to deal with in the late winter!
- PAINT freshens up a house inside and out like nothing else!
- FIND A STAGER for making your home look its best for potential buyers. Many realtors are great Stagers themselves or can find a Stager for you
- TALK TO YOUR REALTOR NOW – He/she can help you make your plans go smoothly, allowing lots of time for tasks to be completed.
Remember: In the end, spending some money now to make your home inviting to potential buyers will help to make your asking price higher when the time comes!
Please visit some of our related articles:
Current Homes for Sale
Visit all Earlysville Homes for Sale Now….always current!