If you are planning on selling your home this Spring, now is the time to get together your to-do list.
It’s hard to be thinking about Spring with 10 inches of snow and frigid temperatures, but the reality is this: winter is short-lived, and before we know it, there will be crocuses and daffodils dotting lawns and woods edge. If you have been considering moving, now is the perfect time to call your Realtor and begin the process of preparing your home for sale.
Tips for Preparing to Place your Home on the Market
- Pre-listing Inspection – Hire a Home Inspector… You might think you know everything there is to know about the condition of your home, but odds are that your buyer’s home inspector will find rotting trim, a loose railing, a shower pan that is cracked and leaking into the crawl space, or maybe even a bat in the attic! A pre-listing home inspection will alert you to significant problems that would otherwise present themselves during the negotiation process.
- Clean Gutters – Many water issues begin with clogged gutters; get them cleaned and keep them that way.
- Service the HVAC System – Now’s the time to find out if there are loose wires, dirty filters, or any other system deficiencies. Even if you have an older system, the buyer will be pleased to know the system has been maintained well and will be less likely to make an issue of it.
- Check all windows and doors for proper weather stripping, screens, locks in working order, all windows and doors open and close as they should, and that none of the windows are foggy (failing seals of insulated windows). While you are dealing with the windows, go ahead and check that you have screens for all windows, clean your windows (makes the house sparkle!), and clean blinds and draperies.
- Hire a Chimney Sweep – Even if you feel that you just had your chimney(s) cleaned, unless it was within the past 6 months, do it again. Have them check the damper and all aspects of the chimney inside and out.
- Be sure to tell your Home Inspector to check the house top to bottom, from crawl space to attic, for any sign of moisture. If there is any presence of mold, take care of it now, immediately. If there is moisture, develop a plan to deal with it before you put the house on the market.
- De-clutter. Invest in a Pod of necessary, or rent a storage unit. Begin divorcing yourself from possessions… donate, repurpose, recycle.
- Paint freshens up a house like nothing else. Talk to your Realtor, get advice from a Stager. The Spring selling season is nearly upon us … Call Virginia for an appointment today!